1977 Reunion Lunch

22 Jul 17 11:30 am - 2:00 pm


77GF SBOCFCJoin our greats from 1977 to relive a marvellous season and premiership. Tickets available via Tigermart.


77GF TurnerRobinson St Bedes Old Collegians 12-14-86 d Bulleen Templestowe 12-12-84

Best: Vaughan, Lockwood, Cecchi, Roberts, Fogarty, Boyce

Goals: Collins 4, Dunn 2, Terrell, Lockwood, Evans, Fogarty, Cecchi, Turra





 Grand Final day arrived and was again at Albert Park. Bill Turner was at his motivational peak and had the side prepared to do anything for the jumper. St Bedes won the toss and kicked with the aid of a two to three goals breeze. Bulleen sprang an early surprise by dropping their giant full forward Joe Tennace to the bench. He had kicked 93 goals for the season and had been a tower of strength. On the other hand St Bedes had lost its champion full forward Chris Allen for the GF. Chris had been injured late in the Second Semi Final after kicking seven goals. Bulleen jumped out of the blocks with their replacement full forward Sheridan taking three screamers and kicking the first three goals of the game in the opening minutes. Bill Turner coached brilliantly, swinging the changes to stop the bleeding. Bulleen was continually winning the ball out of the middle and placing the St Bedes backline under tremendous pressure. The side steadied to gradually edge back to a three-point deficit at quarter time. The second quarter saw Templestowe kick three goals seven behinds to lead by 13 points at half time. It was never going to be anything but a nail-biter finish. Some decisive luck had been with St. Bede’s with Bulleen hitting the post on three occasions before the major break. The third quarter saw Bulleen again on top for the first part of the quarter before Collins and Fogarty both goaled just before three quarter time. Fogarty’s running goal was inspirational and one could sense the side starting to lift. Mick Roberts had been battling his heart out in the middle along with Lockwood and Cecchi. Others were starting to hit their straps including Jack Turner and Paul Robinson. At three quarter time the margin was out to 16 points. Bulleen with the breeze had every right to be confident, however the game was far from over. The continual niggling of Bulleen’s playing coach Barry Murphy was paying dividends as he struggled with his own game and annoyed the A-grade umpires. The last quarter was a classic arm wrestle with both defences giving little. The difference though was the St Bedes backline. Led by B.O.G. Tony Vaughan and Ray Boyce the backline was giving the side enormous run through the middle. Both sides went goal for goal early however it was St Bedes who were gradually gaining control of the ball. A strong mark to Dale Collins and a timely 15-metre penalty courtesy of umpire “Benny” Goodman brought a crucial goal. With only minutes left Collins had another kick, goaled again to put the side in front for the first time in the game. Could the boys from the Mordialloc swamp really win a flag? Bulleen were again attacking but Vaughan marked strongly in defence and switched the rebound to Lockwood. He charged forward and the ball was on the St Bede’s half forward line as the bell sounded for a two-point win. Pandemonium! A huge crowd surged onto the ground. Mums, Dads, girl friends, mates, brothers and sisters, all the Campbell brothers – even school principal Brother Bill Firman. The win was well earned and the champagne flowed! The Club had won its first double VAFA Senior Premierships.





Go to top