Dear SBMT community,
A few days ago the SMJFL made the decision to cancel the football season for our juniors. This is only weeks after the same decision was made by the VAFA for our senior season. Whilst we are devastated not to have football in the traditional sense in 2020, we understand the choice made by both the leagues in which we compete would have been a very difficult one. We also believe it is the right decision for our community as a whole given the current COVID-19 numbers in Melbourne. Click to read the SMJFL statement here: http://smjfl.com.au/latest-season-update/
The SMJFL will endeavour to offer optional alternative programs if and when government restrictions allow. This may include:
- Lightning Carnivals;
- AFL 9s; and
- School holiday games/Round Robin/Intra-club matches.
As well as these occasions that the SMJFL hopes to host, we at SBMT had intended having some spring and summer events including a launch of our own football academy. We will also commence pre-season for 2021 earlier than usual. More information will come out about these possibilities once further clarity is provided regarding government restrictions.
In the last few newsletters, it had been clearly stated that this is a financially tough year for our beloved St Bedes/Mentone Tigers. This cancellation of the SMJFL season is unfortunately going to make it even tougher to keep our club ticking along. At the bottom of this email are numerous ways Tiger club members can support our club. Whilst some club members and families are finding this COVID period financially difficult, others are not. If anyone who can, supports the club with one or more of the options below, it will make a huge difference to how SBMT comes out the other side of this difficult period of time. If it is a possibility for you, please dig deep and show your Tigers your support.
In relation to 2020 subs, any player or family able to pledge their full subs to the club will have their name listed on a dedicated COVID-19 plaque to be displayed at the club. This is an exceptional time in our history. We are being asked to work together as a community in ways we never have before. At SBMT we want to ensure the club members who pledged their subs are remembered for years and generations to come. Whilst we understand everyone’s situations are different, this sacrifice may be what keeps our Tigers roaring into 2021 and beyond.
More information about upcoming events, alternative possibilities for junior footy and also club finances will come to you all in upcoming newsletters.
For now, stay connected to your coaches. Stay connected to your teams. Stay connected to our SBMT community members, and reach out if in need. Keep safe, keep socially distant and stay healthy.
Together our strong and resilient SBMT community will get through the other side of this.
Lou Prichard Nicholson
St Bedes/Mentone Tigers AFC
1. To purchase ground signage at the Brindisi St oval at a discounted price of $770 (including GST) for the remainder of 2020 as well as the whole 2021 season, email email@example.com .
2. Support our SBMT wine fundraiser! $60 from every dozen sold goes to our club. The feedback so far is that the wine is terrific, and perfect for the upcoming cold nights in lockdown. The labels display the SBMT emblem and there are 3 whites and 3 reds to choose from. Enjoy a local wine whilst staying COVID-safe at home and support the club at the same time!
3. For SBMT merchandise, follow the link to our online store: https://stbedesmentonetigers.com.au/shop/
Choose from a selection of scarves, beanies, hoodies, polos, puffer jackets and vests with a combination of old and new logos!
4. Follow this link to take out an SBMT club membership and back the mighty Tigers: https://stbedesmentonetigers.com.au/supporter-membership/
5. Get your tix for the Toyota Good For Footy raffle via the link below to give SBMT 100% of all funds from tickets bought and go in the draw to win 1 of 10 amazing prizes, including a brand new car! https://toyotagoodforfooty.raffletix.com.au/stbedesmentonetigers